My stories and experiences during my year in Vienna.

Tuesday, 12 May 2009

10 months in

The past ten months of my life have been an amazing experience. I have been living in Vienna since July. I left Fayetteville, where I had the same friends and connections for so many years. I have overcome challenges while learning about myself, expanding my horizons and broadening my world view. I have learned some German, created a social network, gained an understanding and appreciation for the culture, and know Vienna like the back of my hand. I have gained so much from this adventure.

I've grown up exposed to travel and had the opportunity to explore new places. Two years ago, I spent time in France and fell in love with Europe. I wanted more. I signed a contract within months of making my Au Pair profile online. I act as an older sister to Moni, teaching an hour of English daily and playing with her. We have both taught each other many new things and have grown close and I really enjoy watching her grow academically and as a person.

In hindsight, I was naïve to the struggles and obstacles I would have to overcome here. Moving from a small American town to a large city where I knew no one and didn’t speak the language was drastic. I've traveled before and had visited a country where I knew a little of their language, but realized that I was flying solo, without the help of tour guides, family and friends. The culture shock was overwhelming during my first two months. I struggled to learn the metro to get to my German class. The only people I knew were my host family and the students in my class who didn’t speak much English. I attempted to make friends and learn my way around the city. I tried to fit into my role in the family, which was harder than I expected. Since I have been here, I have traveled and met amazing people of different ages and personalities from every corner of the world. I've learned to love and respect diversity and differences among people.

My experiences in Vienna and Europe have shaped me into a more bold and confident person. I am now able to independently define who I am and what I believe rather than be defined by past behaviors or family expectations. I have learned that I can make it on my own and can make it anywhere. I am still unsure as to what exactly my future will hold, but I am enrolled at Colorado State for the fall of 2009. A year ago I had never felt so terrified, but now I have never felt so ready.

Thank you for listening to my stories and letting me share my experiences with you, but unfortunately it is coming to an end. I am looking forward to a Prague trip with my host family. Before I leave, Charlie will come visit me and we will travel a few weeks before returning to America.

Skylar




2 comments:

  1. skylar! i am so glad that i found you on here! Sounds like you had such a great time, and i am completely jealous of you. i am moving to colorado in september, so give me a call if you want to come up before 2010 and stay for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops haha I meant fall 2009! but I will be in Ft. Collins by August and I'll be sure to pay you a visit!

    ReplyDelete

Followers